Frequently Asked Questions

What should I bring?

Every student may have different needs, but our list of What to Bring is a good place to start. Reception desks have some items that residents may check out, such as vacuum cleaners, kitchen utensils, games and recreational equipment. Don't forget to consult your roommate, to coordinate colors and check for duplicates! Be sure to have your BearPass card handy for check-in!

May I bring a microwave or refrigerator?

No, because microwaves and compact refrigerators are already provided in each residence hall living unit. Due to the fire hazard and electrical requirements associated with certain appliances, only microwave ovens and refrigerators provided by Residence Life are allowed.

When may I move into my room?

Fall 2018: Move-in begins Friday, August 17, at 8:00 a.m. Upon arrival, you will need to check in at your assigned residence hall reception desk; please have your BearPass card handy. You will not be allowed to check in before this date unless you are assigned to a Living-Learning Community (LLC) floor. LLC residents can move in as early as Thursday, August 16 beginning at 8:00 a.m., so they have time to get settled before the kick-off event on Thursday evening.

When do the residence halls close?

Fall 2017: Blair-Shannon, Freudenberger, Wells and Woods close for winter break at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 16 and will re-open at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 13. Once these buildings close, students will not be permitted to return to their rooms until January 13. Therefore, students should take any personal belongings with them before leaving. Students who are returning to the same room for Spring 2018 do not need to move all of their belongings from their room during winter break.

Spring 2018: Blair-Shannon, Freudenberger, Wells and Woods close for spring break at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 10 and will re-open at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, March 17. Residents of these closed buildings who need to remain on campus during these dates should contact the Residence Life office at 417-836-5536 to arrange housing.

At the end of the Spring 2018 semester, all residents must be completely moved out by 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, May 19.

What facilities remain open during breaks?

Kentwood, Hammons, Hutchens, Monroe Apartments, Sunvilla Tower, and Scholars will remain open during winter and spring breaks. All residence halls and dining centers will remain open for Thanksgiving break.

May I change my assignment?

Students who wish to transfer to another room or residence hall may submit a room change request in My Missouri State. Requests are granted on a first come, first served basis as space becomes available.

  • Click on the Profile tab
  • Select the Room Change Request link in the Housing channel under Assignment Information

Please note: at certain times of the year, the room change request process may be taken offline for administrative purposes. Room changes cannot be made during those times.

Are meals included with my residence hall assignment?

Meal plans are included in the housing contract rates and are required for all residence halls. Residents must also purchase a BoomerMeals package.

May I change my meal plan?

Residents may change meal plans in My Missouri State:

  • Click on the Profile tab
  • Select the BearPass Card Account Management System link in the Housing channel under Assignment Information

Decreasing meal plans is allowed before the semester begins or during the first three (3) weeks of a semester only. At any time, residents may increase meal plans.

What safety measures are in place in the facilities?

We have several security features in our residence halls and on-campus apartments. The first line of security is our residents themselves. We encourage all residents to take an active part in providing security on their floors as well as in their building by addressing any unusual activity they encounter. If residents are not comfortable asking strangers about what they are doing on their floor, they need to contact an RA or their front desk about the individual or situation. All guests should be approved by all roommates and should be carrying a picture ID on them at all times. Guests need to be registered at the front desk, so all guests in a building may be accounted for in case of an emergency. Also, we would encourage residents to make sure to secure their room or apartment even when occupied.

Second, we have a card access system to make sure that residents can access their building 24-hours a day. All exterior doors in our facilities are locked at 7 p.m., and residents must use their access card to gain entrance to their residence halls. After 10 p.m., IDs are checked as well, and all guests must be registered and escorted into the building. This system, is only as good as the residents allow; residents must confront people trying to “tailgate” into the building. This means that persons not in possession of an appropriate access card should not be permitted to enter the building without a host. Residents need to close doors behind them securely or make the person walk around to the front of the building to make sure they are registered as a guest and escorted by their host.

All of our facilities are staffed 24-hours a day, seven days a week with someone at the front desk, and RAs and staff are available to address concerns if they arise. The campus is patrolled by our own Department of Safety and Transportation as well as the Springfield Police who are assigned to the Missouri State substation.

Are my personal belongings insured?

Because the University cannot be held accountable for loss, damage or theft of any student's personal property, all students are highly encouraged to purchase "renter's insurance" or to verify adequate coverage on their parent's family insurance. Students who live in Monroe Apartments are required to provide proof of renter's insurance. 

Where will I find a campus map?

Campus maps, including the interactive Bear Line shuttle map, are available online and also on our MSU Mobile app.

What computer technology is available?

Fully equipped, 24-hour computer labs are provided in all of the residence halls and apartments. These computer labs provide up-to-date hardware and software technology, including Internet access, Microsoft Office 365, and laser printing at the front desk. Each resident in the residence halls and apartments has a dedicated Ethernet port and each residence hall and apartment provides Wi-Fi service.

Wireless Network Access

Every residence hall is completely wireless. Most academic facilities have wireless hotspots as well. Instructions for connecting to University access points are available at:

It is suggested that a wired Ethernet connection be utilized before a Wi-Fi connection, if possible. For more information, please contact ResNet at 417-836-6100.

What is ResNet?

ResNet refers to the residence hall network — the computer technology,  resources and support provided in the residence halls. Should a student need assistance with connecting their computer to the network or have computer related problems throughout the year, there are ResCons (ResNet Consultants) available in the halls to assist in getting the problem resolved. Any resident with a computer-related question should contact ResNet at 417-836-6100.

Is cable television service available?

Digital cable hook-ups and extended basic service are provided in each residence hall living unit. In order to receive all channels on TVs made before 2008, you must obtain a digital adapter from Mediacom Cable. You may contract for additional cable services through Mediacom at the regular rate.

What is furnished in my room?

Each traditional residence hall living unit contains the following items:

  • 80" extra-long, twin-size bed
  • Dresser drawer space
  • Closet space
  • Drapes
  • Desk
  • Desk chair
  • Microwave and refrigerator

You may bring a carpet or scatter rugs for the tile floors. Kentwood Hall and the bedrooms in Scholars House and Wells House (suites only) are carpeted. Visit the homepage of each residence hall for more information including specific room information, room dimensions and virtual tours.

What is the size of the beds?

In the traditional residence halls, the mattresses are extra-long twins (36"x80"). The Residence Hall Association has partnered with residence hall linens to provide our students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long twin sheets and bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities. Proceeds from this program go to RHA and are used for programming in the residence halls. Please visit the RHA website.

No lofts or risers are permitted in any residence hall as the beds may be bunked.

What is the Residence Hall Association (RHA) activity fee included in the housing contract rates?

This $12/semester fee is distributed through RHA to each residence hall for the implementation of social, educational and hall enrichment programs and activities. Please visit the Residence Hall Association page for more information.

Where will I be able to do my laundry?

Laundry facilities are located in each residence hall at no additional charge.

Where will I be able to park my car?

Each student must purchase a parking permit from the Parking Administration in order to utilize on-campus parking. Students are issued permits for parking lots closest to their residence hall as space permits. Residents of Monroe Apartments should contact the reception desk at Monroe to request information about the reserved lot next to Monroe Apartments.

Who is responsible for cleaning my room?

Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms, suite or apartment. Vacuum cleaners are available for check-out at the reception desk of each residence hall.

Where may I learn more about residence life policies?

Our publication, Guide to Residence Hall Living, will provide you with specific information concerning your rights and responsibilities as a resident of university housing.

Where is the residence life office located?

View our contact information.