Your housing contract is a legally-binding document that encompasses the entire academic year (both Fall and Spring semesters). For the apartments 12-month contract this includes the Summer Term (June and July). You are obligated from the day you sign the contract until the end of the Spring semester (Summer Contract Term for Apartments). If extraordinary circumstances or unexpected difficulties occur, the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services may consider a contract breakage. Breakages are evaluated based on extreme need demonstrated by appropriate documentation. Very few breakages are granted outside the outlined criteria on the Request for Permission to Break Student Housing Contract form. Even approved requests are subject to breakage fees and the loss of the housing deposit.
To request a breakage of your housing contract:
- Visit the Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services office in Hammons House 104 and ask for a “breakage request form.”
- Review the form and request to speak with Abby Brown if you have any questions. Apartment residents are to speak with the Receptionist at their front desk.
- Complete the breakage request form and compile the required documentation outlined on the form.
- If you select “Other” as your reason for breakage request, you will need to submit a typed, detailed letter explaining your circumstances, along with any other supporting documentation.
- Submit your breakage request form and documentation to Hammons House 104.
Breakage requests are reviewed in the order in which they are received and will be processed as quickly as possible. You will be notified via e-mail when your request has been processed.
You should not sign or commit to any off-campus lease agreement without an approved breakage request.